Trump Goes Big
The Trump Administration made it clear today that it is going to propose a big economic stimulus package to boost the economy, which is being hammered by the coronavirus fallout. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is on Capitol Hill now discussing the plan with Senate Republicans.
The White House is seeking approximately $850 billion in tax relief and loans to industries most affected by the economic shutdown. While President Trump prefers a payroll tax "holiday," the White House signaled it is open to direct cash payments to households ASAP.
Mnuchin told reporters, "We're looking at sending checks to Americans immediately. . . [Laid off] Americans need cash now. And the president wants to get cash [out] now." In addition, he said the administration would defer owed tax payments interest-free and penalty-free for 90 days.
Here's the most important thing: The Trump/Pence team worked through the night to develop this stimulus plan. It is committed to getting us through this crisis, and all options are on the table.
Combatting The Coronavirus
Yesterday the White House released new recommendations for combatting the Chinese coronavirus (COVID-19). Here's what you need to know:
- Follow the directions of your state and local authorities.
- If you feel sick, stay home. Do not go to work. Contact your medical provider.
- If your children are sick, keep them at home. Contact your medical provider.
- If someone in your household has tested positive for the coronavirus, keep the entire household at home.
- If you are an older American, stay home and away from other people.
- If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition—such as a significant heart or lung problem—stay home and away from other people.
In addition, the White House is also urging Americans to:
- Work from home whenever possible.
- Avoid gatherings of more than 10 people.
- Avoid bars, restaurants and food courts. Use delivery, pickup and drive-thru options when possible.
- Avoid discretionary travel.
- Avoid unnecessary visits to nursing homes and retirement centers.
These guidelines build on the CDC's recommendations to fight the spread of the virus, and everyone can do their part. Everyone should avoid touching their face, continue washing their hands regularly for at least 20 seconds and wiping down surfaces – tables, countertops, keyboards, etc. – in the home often.
Even those who are young and healthy are at risk. But most importantly, your activities can increase the risk of spreading the coronavirus to others who are in more danger from it, specifically those over 70 and people with serious pre-existing medical problems.
Today, the White House also announced new "telemedicine" options for Medicare recipients, as well as reforms to burdensome HIPAA laws and regulations. And it's worth repeating that a vaccine for COVID-19 has been approved in record time.
It would be nice if in a time of crisis we could all come together for the good of the country. Sadly, that's not happening.
Many on the left are exploiting this crisis, pushing their own ideological agenda. They are lying to you and contributing to the fear and panic that has gripped the country.
Here are some examples of what I am referring to:
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi tried to hijack an emergency spending bill to subsidize abortions. Only the left can see a piece of time-sensitive and life-saving legislation as an opportunity to kill more unborn babies. Thankfully, the provision was dropped.
- During a conference call with governors, the president encouraged them to try getting respirators and ventilators themselves because it could be quicker while adding that the federal government would support them however it can. But the New York Times only reported the first part of Trump's remarks, and that's the part that went viral. (Pun intended.) Dozens of news outlets ran misleading headlines suggesting that Trump had essentially abandoned the states.
- Some so-called "progressives" are hoping conservatives get sick and die.
- Some leftists like anti-Second Amendment activist David Hogg and Rep. Rashida Tlaib mocked Christians for praying during this crisis.
- They falsely accused the president of dismantling the White House office of pandemic preparedness.
- They lied and claimed he gutted the budgets of vital health agencies.
- They falsely accused the president of calling the virus a hoax.
I could go on, but you get the point.