The economy created 201,000 new jobs in August, exceeding economists' expectations, and the unemployment rate remains historically low at 3.9%. Equally important, wages went up by 2.9%. Today's news comes on the heels of reports that weekly jobless claims hit a 49-year low. This is great news, my friends.
I know things must seem crazy in Washington right now. But the craziness isn't coming from the White House. It's coming from the left, which will do almost anything to try to stop the duly-elected president of the United States. (See next item.)
The media are trying to give you the impression that the White House is in complete meltdown, that the president is unfit for office, and that the West Wing is wracked by infighting and paranoia. That's fake news!
Earlier this week, I had dinner with Vice President Pence and a handful of conservative leaders. I can tell you that the vice president is optimistic and excited about the future.
Last week, I joined a hundred Christian leaders for a dinner in the West Wing with the president, first lady, and a dozen top White House officials. President Trump was confident, committed and looking for ways to fulfill the promises he made to the American people.
So take heart. And don't fall for the media's false narrative. The Trump/Pence team is committed to securing the border, slashing regulations, appointing conservative judges, and growing our economy.
Again, please pray for all of the people who are working hard to make America great again.
And please, be certain to vote this November. But you can't vote unless you are registered, and many state deadlines are approaching fast.
Here's a final thought: The two big attacks against Trump this week were Bob Woodward's book and the anonymous New York Times op-ed.
What is so significant is that neither the book nor the op-ed allege any violation of the law or the Constitution by President Trump. Both are obsessing over style. In other words, both are much ado about nothing.
We've had a string of presidents in the past three decades whose style was impeccable. Anyone happy with politics as usual?
Style is not nearly as important as substance. And when it comes to policy, President Trump has done virtually everything that values voters could have dreamed of.
Cooper vs. Booker
Here's a good example of the left-wing craziness. New Jersey Senator Cory Booker went on CNN yesterday for what he likely expected to be a softball interview. Instead, Anderson Cooper threw him a few curveballs over his performance in the Kavanaugh hearings.
Cooper grilled Booker for his publicity stunt of allegedly breaking the Senate rules when he released some of Kavanaugh's old emails, documents which had in fact been cleared for release.
You see, Booker is posturing for the 2020 campaign and trying to make himself into a hero of the left by being a "bad boy" or a martyr for the cause. But Cooper didn't seem to appreciate Booker's grandstanding.
Yet as I watched Booker repeatedly insist that he was so proud to have broken Senate rules, I kept asking myself, "What is he so proud of? When did rule-breaking become an admirable character trait among our politicians?"
I also thought about Judge Kavanaugh's children having to be taken out of the hearing room because of the left's outrageous antics. Yet, what if your child happened to walk into the room when this CNN interview was on? What kind of example is Booker setting with his bragging about breaking the rules?
Again, my friends, I just want to repeat a crucial point here: While we all bemoan the breakdown of civility and the acrimonious state of our union today, the left has led the charge in the coarsening of our culture in every conceivable way.
As I noted earlier this week, Donald Trump did not set the tone of the Robert Bork hearings. Trump did not set the tone of the Clarence Thomas hearings. Hundreds of conservatives did not disrupt the hearings when Barack Obama nominated Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor.
Nor do conservatives shout down speakers and assault innocent people attending public rallies. Conservatives do not protest our police officers or attempt to thwart the duly-enacted laws of this country.
Conservatives were not the ones in the streets in the 1960s, and they are not the ones violently "occupying" the streets today. There are valid reasons why nearly 60% of Americans fear left-wing violence.
It is the left, not Donald Trump, that has taken America to the brink of anarchy.
Deep State Update
There have been several developments in recent days that have largely flown under the radar amid the Labor Day holiday, the Kavanaugh hearings and the anonymous op-ed nonsense.
- Fired FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is facing a grand jury investigation for perjury.
- Rep. Mark Meadows is calling for a formal investigation into Justice Department official Bruce Ohr's contacts with British ex-spy Christopher Steele and the FBI. The Russia-collusion investigation had nothing to do with Ohr's job, and he had a serious conflict of interest given that his wife, Nellie, worked for Fusion GPS, which was paid by the Clinton campaign and had contracted with Steele to produce the infamous dossier. Yet it seems Ohr abused his position at Justice to steer the FBI's investigation in the direction that the Clinton campaign desired.
- The Hill offers more details about Ohr's efforts to influence the investigation. In addition, there are reports that the FBI currently has "highly classified" information related to the George Papadopoulos case that is "indisputably exculpatory," meaning it could prove his innocence.
- A dozen members of Congress held a press conference yesterday calling on President Trump to declassify records related to the secret FISA warrants used to spy on Carter Page, as well as FBI reports that contain "exculpatory evidence regarding Carter Page and others."
- Joe diGenova said that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is also under investigation.
- Two prosecutors, who assisted with Robert Mueller's indictments against Russian hackers for the 2016 election meddling, have recently left Mueller's team without a cloud of controversy. Some speculate that their departures may suggest that the Trump/Russian collusion investigation has run its course.
Now if this much news related to Trump/Russian collusion had broken over the course of a few days, there would be non-stop coverage, and I guarantee you would know about every one of these stories. But because it is all about deep state collusion against Trump, the so-called "mainstream media" are obsessing about a book and an anonymous op-ed.
To all of our Jewish friends and supporters, Carol and I wish you a happy Rosh Hashanah!