Trump vs. The Squad
If there has been a consistent theme in these daily reports lately, it has been the growing anti-Americanism of the left. President Trump took it on in recent days and now the left is howling in fits of rage.
As you undoubtedly know by now, the president tweeted over the weekend that "loud and vicious voices" on the progressive left were attempting to dictate how the U.S. should be run. He suggested that they "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came."
Yesterday, amid mounting criticism, the president doubled down, saying, "As far as I'm concerned if you hate our country, if you're not happy here, you can leave."
The four members of the progressive Squad -- Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar and Ayanna Pressley -- held a press conference yesterday afternoon. They accused the president of being a racist, of pushing a "white nationalist agenda," of dividing the country and committing various crimes.
Pressley refused to refer to Trump as "president," and called him "the occupant of the White House." She claimed that the Trump Administration was putting children in cages at the border.
Ilhan Omar accused the president of committing human rights abuses at the border and forcing women to drink out of toilets. She accused Trump of "multiple crimes," including colluding with Russia, and she called for his impeachment.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accused the president of ripping families apart at the border.
Rashida Tlaib accused Trump of "utter disregard and disrespect for the Constitution." She too urged Trump's impeachment.
Allow me to correct the record.
- Those so-called "child cages" were built by Obama and they are meant to protect children from random adults in the detention facilities.
- There is zero evidence that women in border detention facilities were told to or forced to drink from toilets.
- As for separating children from their families, that's what happens when you break the law. Any time a citizen breaks the law and is arrested, he is separated from his children. Moreover, many of these so-called "families" are not families at all. The children are being used to exploit loopholes in our weak immigration laws, which the Squad refuses to fix.
- Robert Mueller and his team of Clinton-supporting lawyers found no evidence that Trump colluded with Russia.
- As for disrespecting the Constitution, it is the left that routinely assaults the freedom of speech, the freedom of religion and our Second Amendment rights.
- As for Omar, the House was forced to vote on a resolution condemning her repeated anti-Semitic remarks and yesterday she refused to condemn Al Qaeda.
- And when it comes to dividing America, that's all the left does. It's all about identity politics.
Once again, these progressives seemed far more committed to helping illegal immigrants than to helping American citizens. AOC, who wants to abolish ICE, led the fight to stop Amazon from bringing thousands of jobs to New York.
Omar spent the Fourth of July belittling America. She later said she was "ashamed" of America "continuing to live in its hypocrisy," whatever that means.
And don't forget that just last week they were accusing Nancy Pelosi of racism.
These four women have risen to the top of the progressive movement by attacking America, attacking law enforcement, smearing our border guards and pushing extreme policies. They are increasingly driving the agenda of the left.
In a strange twist, Speaker Nancy Pelosi has suddenly been forced to rally around AOC and Omar, yet her caucus is divided on how to respond. Pelosi wants a simple resolution, while others are demanding a formal censure. Progressives won't do anything to stop the crisis at the border, but they will spend time on resolutions condemning Trump.
Moreover, Pelosi has been struggling to keep a lid on the progressive push for impeachment. It came up repeatedly at yesterday's press conference, and now Rep. Al Green (D-TX) is vowing to force an impeachment vote on the House floor.
Billionaire tech investor Peter Thiel made headlines over the weekend when he said that the FBI and the CIA should investigate Google for its relationship with the communist Chinese government, to what extent it has been infiltrated by Chinese spies and for potentially "treasonous" activity.
Thiel noted that Google is working on a "Manhattan Project" for artificial intelligence, yet it refused to work with the Pentagon after left-wing employees objected and some even resigned in protest.
But Google is very active in China. So active that top Pentagon officials have expressed serious concerns about the tech giant providing direct support to the Chinese military.
To its credit, the liberal Washington Post editorial board has called out Google for helping the communist regime censor the Internet in China. And as I have noted before, China is forcing churches to install facial recognition technology.
Google can plead ignorance all it wants. But as Gordon Chang correctly noted, when it comes to communist China, "there is no longer any meaningful distinction between civil and military research."
Thiel's remarks got President Trump's attention. He tweeted this morning that his administration "will take a look" at the Google/China connection.