CDC To The Rescue?
The CDC is finally starting to follow the science. That's not just my opinion. Even the New York Times is saying it. Consider these excerpts:
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is finally catching up to the science. For months, research about Covid-19 has pointed to two encouraging patterns. First, the underlying virus that causes Covid rarely spreads outdoors. Second . . . fully vaccinated people are at virtually no risk of serious disease and only a minuscule risk of spreading the virus to others.
"But the CDC . . . has been unwilling to highlight these facts. It has instead focused on tiny risks — risks that are smaller than those from, say, taking a car trip. The CDC's intricate list of recommended Covid behavior has baffled many Americans and frightened others. . .
"Yesterday, the agency effectively acknowledged it had fallen behind the scientific evidence. . . It said fully vaccinated people could stop wearing masks in most settings. . . The change sends a message: Vaccination means the end of the Covid crisis, for individuals and ultimately for society."
While this is welcome news, there are a couple of points to keep in mind.
First, this does not in any way prevent private establishments from requiring masks. The TSA has announced it will not lift the mask mandate at airports because they don't have the staff to check that every passenger has been vaccinated.
Nor are left-wing governors, who really have the power here, under any obligation to follow the new guidance. In fact, Gov. Andrew Cuomo immediately said that New York's mask mandate will remain in place as he "follows the science," which he clearly isn't.
Here's another critical point: Just days ago, Dr. "Double Mask" Fauci was still defending the mask requirement. Earlier this week, the director of the CDC was on Capitol Hill doing the same thing. Both suggested that anyone who disagreed was not following the science.
Then -- as gas lines were forming all along the East coast, as missiles were raining down on Israel, as new figures showed 170,000 illegal aliens were apprehended at the border in one month and as inflation is spiking -- suddenly Biden and Harris go to a microphone to announce this "great milestone."
Anyone who thinks that yesterday's sudden news wasn't the result of political interference at the CDC, well, I've got that proverbial bridge to sell you.
Again, I think the announcement was long overdue and doesn't go far enough. But make no mistake about it – the Biden White House needed a political win, and they called whoever they needed to call.
If this had happened in the Trump Administration, there would be dozens of stories this morning quoting anonymous sources about political pressure and heavy-handed intervention at the CDC.
About That Energy Crisis. . .
While I'd like to think that the gas crisis on the east coast right now would lead Biden to reconsider his hostility to the Keystone XL Pipeline, I know he won't. Even though Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm readily admits that pipelines are "the best way to go," Biden is all in on shutting them down.
Again, you don't have to take my word for it. Biden said it himself.
While campaigning in New Hampshire last year, a supporter asked him if he would stop fracking and new pipeline infrastructure. Biden answered, "Yeah. Yes. New pipelines. Exactly. None."
Stop Appeasing Iran
As 2,000 rockets have rained down on Israel this week, more than 40 Republican senators are calling on the Biden White House to stop all negotiations with Iran while its terrorists proxies are attacking our most reliable ally, Israel.
Frankly, that's the bare minimum Biden should do. And while Senate Republicans are right to pressure Biden, I hope they are also pressuring Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.
It's clear that the Biden Administration is committed to rejoining the 2015 Obama/Biden nuclear deal with Iran. If any deal is negotiated with the ayatollah's regimes, an avowed enemy of the United States, the Senate must vote on it.
This isn't just any "deal." An agreement of this magnitude – regarding the nuclear weapons program of a nation that has repeatedly promised a second Holocaust – is central to our national security and to Israel's national security.
It must be submitted to the Senate, not the United Nations and not the European Union, and it must be submitted as a treaty, requiring 67 votes to pass.
According to reports, Donald Trump is planning to hold three rallies in the coming weeks – two in June and one on July 3rd. "The president is anxious to get back out on the trail, and we are getting a lot of offers and invitations from both candidates and political causes in different areas," one adviser said.
We'll keep you posted as details develop.
· Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed voter integrity legislation into law that limits mail-in balloting and cleans up voter rolls.
· Montana Governor Greg Gianforte signed legislation protecting girls' sports and preventing biological boys who claim to be girls from playing on girls' sports teams.
· Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon banned COVID passports.
· A dozen more Republican governors are ending the extra unemployment benefits that are incentivizing people not to work.
· Twenty Republican governors demanded that Joe Biden act immediately to end the crisis at the southern border.
· The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lawsuit seeking to find out how many illegal aliens may be registered to vote in North Carolina. State bureaucrats, under the direction of liberal Governor Roy Cooper, have refused requests to provide the data.
· Reps. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) and Virginia Foxx (R-NC) have introduced legislation to defund federal programs that teach critical race theory.
· Rep. Warren Davidson (R-OH) has introduced legislation to fire Dr. Anthony Fauci.
· More than 120 retired flag officers (admirals and generals) signed an open letter urging Americans to resist Marxism and defend freedom.
· The left-wing school board members in Loudoun County, Virginia, got a lesson on critical race theory they won't forget anytime soon.
This weekend, Jews will celebrate Shavuot, which commemorates the day God gave Moses the Ten Commandments. To our Jewish friends and allies, as we pray for the peace of Jerusalem, we wish you a joyous Shavuot!