Round Two of Impeachapolooza began today in the House Judiciary Committee. Chairman Jerry Nadler decided to begin the second phase of this colossal waste of time by bringing in four constitutional law professors to explain the pros and cons of impeachment. That speaks volumes about just how weak the left's case truly is.
We can all read the Constitution for ourselves to understand impeachment. But clearly progressives don't think they've made the case yet after two weeks of stacked hearings in the House Intelligence Committee. (The polls certainly show that they haven't convinced the American people.) They still need help from so-called "experts" on the Constitution.
And that's not the only problem they've got. Some progressives are fuming that none of today's witnesses were minorities. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up!
Rep. Al Green (D-TX) took to the House floor this morning and essentially accused Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Chairman Jerry Nadler of racism.
Here are some facts you should know:
- While Judiciary Committee liberals were pretending to appeal to the Constitution today, this is a raw power grab. Today's witnesses were stacked 3-to-1 against the president.
- One of the witnesses is a rabid leftist who bought into the Russia collusion hoax hook, line and sinker. He also wanted to impeach Trump back in 2017 -- over a tweet of all things! Another witness is so consumed with hate that she gets triggered by the Trump Hotel.
- As we have noted before, the left has been braying for Trump's impeachment quite literally since the day he was sworn into office. Jerry Nadler has been plotting impeachment since the day he took over the Judiciary Committee.
- In other words, today's hearings were a foregone conclusion in search of a crime. The left convicted Trump the moment he won the 2016 election and has been searching ever since for any excuse it could find to remove him. Nadler thought he had it with the Russia/Mueller probe. But that turned out to be a big flop.
- Today's lone "Republican" witness isn't even a supporter of President Trump. George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley is an avowed liberal who voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 and Ralph Nader in 1996. He's also an advocate for polygamy.
- Nevertheless, Turley blasted the left's case for impeachment as "woefully inadequate," "dangerous" and plagued by "a scarcity of evidence." I guess that's one thing Turley and I agree on. But if progressives can't win over a liberal like Jonathan Turley, they are clearly falling short.
Schiff's Shifty Subpoenas
Unfortunately, Jerry Nadler's impeachment hearings distracted the media and most Americans from what should be the banner story of the day -- Adam Schiff's shifty subpoenas.
Somehow the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee managed to get his hands on the phone records of Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking Republican on the Intelligence Committee, Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer, journalist John Solomon and others.
Here we are in the middle the of a national debate over what the Deep State did to spy on a presidential campaign and it appears that the Deep State used its powers to spy on a journalist, a member of Congress and the president's lawyer.
This should outrage every American concerned about potential abuses by Big Brother. Perhaps Attorney General Barr should refer Adam Schiff to John Durham's current criminal investigation.
Sadly, this is not the first time progressives have spied on members of Congress and the media. (Here, here and here.)
Faith Under Fire
I was stunned yesterday after reading a report that the Army has banned Shields of Strength from printing Bible verses on personnel dog tags. The company has been doing this for 20 years, but after one complaint from the radical Military Religious Freedom Foundation, the Army folded like a cheap tent.
How is it possible that there is still someone so dumb in the Pentagon bureaucracy that they don't realize Barack Obama is no longer in the White House?
Or did they do it intentionally, just to stick their finger in the eye of this president and vice president who have been such strong advocates for religious liberty?
If it is unconstitutional to have a Bible verse on dog tags, then it must be unconstitutional to have pastors, priests, rabbis and imams ministering to our troops. Of course, that is the ultimate goal of the militant secularists at the Military Religious Freedom Foundation and their progressive allies.
Prayers For Ed
I was saddened to hear today that my good friend, former Attorney General Ed Meese, a stalwart conservative and the chief of Reaganites, has suffered a mild stroke. Please join me in praying for Ed's full and complete recovery from any speech and mobility issues.